My Current Skincare Routine

12th December 2016 in Skincare - 18 Comments - Talia James (The Skincare Saviour) - 4 min read

Hey Beauties!

I seem to get asked a lot these days what I use in terms of skincare and I thought this would make quite a good blog post.  So, I’m going to talk about everything I’ve used, what’s worked for me and what hasn’t! Recently I’ve started becoming quite serious in how I look after my skin, of course before I was still interested but it was more cleanse, moisturise done basically.

I would say that I have combination skin simply because it’s not dry or oily it seems to be both, sometimes it’s even dehydrated as well which is a nightmare. I’ve started trying to balance my skin and take better care of it by drinking more water and using the right products for my skin.

My Current Skincare Routine - Beauty and The Boy
Sunday Riley Blue Moon Cleansing Balm (£46)

Let’s start at the beginning (duh!  ha ha). I usually use a balm cleanser as I’m not a fan of foams or liquids.  What I find works best for me is the Sunday Riley Blue Moon Cleansing Balm as this helps to remove everything without any effort.  I love the fact it’s so hydrating as,  a lot of time when using cleansers, my skin feels quite tight and stiff which is never a good feeling but with Blue Moon I never get that

My Current Skincare Routine - Beauty and The Boy
Rodial Dragons Blood Hyaluronic Tonic (£33)

Next I would normally spritz  my skin with the Rodial Dragons Blood Hyaluronic Tonic, which again is all about plumping my skin as it can get quite dry/dehydrated on my nose and cheeks. I find this works great as it helps to rehydrate my skin but also soothes the skin so can used throughout the day if you need a little hydrating boost. I usually apply this before putting on a serum because I feel like it helps to let the serum penetrate better.

My Current Skincare Routine - Beauty and The Boy
Sunday Riley Luna Sleeping Night Oil (£85)

I would then apply either Sunday Riley Luna Sleeping Night Oil or the REN Flash Hydro-Boost. In the morning I would apply the Flash Hydro-Boost all over my face then once again I would spray my finger tips with the Dragons Blood Hyaluronic Tonic.  Hydro-Boost is activated by water but by using the tonic I find it super charges the serum causing it to work better than it would with just water. At night I use the Sunday Riley Luna Sleeping Night Oil which is a retinoid oil that reduces the appearance of pores, helps to control acne and flights against the signs of aging. I’ve only been using this for about a week now and even though it’s not enough time to say if anything has changed or gotten better I feel rather hopeful for this product.

My Current Skincare Routine - Beauty and The Boy
Benefit Dream Screen (£25)

When using retinol you have to make sure you are using a full spectrum SPF because retinols cause sun sensitivity so you’re going to have to apply a good facial SPF at least SPF30.  I’m using the Benefit Dream Screen because not only is it a fantastic sun screen it’s also mattifying which is perfect for what I need.

My Current Skincare Routine - Beauty and The Boy
Sunday Riley Good Genes (£85)

I have been swapping out the REN Flash Hydro-Boost for the Sunday Riley Good Genes which is a Lactic Acid Treatment which helps to brighten, exfoliate, reduces the appearance of hyperpigmentation and boosts radiance. Again I have only been using this for about a week now but with this I can notice a difference because my skin is usually quite uneven in texture as well as colour but when using this I feel like my skin is softer and much more even in tone not to mention doesn’t look as dull either. I want to see what effect this has on my skin in the coming months.

My Current Skincare Routine - Beauty and The Boy
Bobbi Brown Hydrating Eye Cream (£32.50)

Eye Cream is usually applied next in the form of the Bobbi Brown Hydrating Eye Cream.  I like to apply my eye cream before moisturising because I feel like it penetrates better than it would layered on top. I’ve been using  Hydrating Eye Cream for quite a while now and I’m really liking it of course nothing will compare to the Emma Hardie Amazing Face Eye Cream but  Hydrating Eye Cream works best for me during the winter months mainly for the hydrating effects it gives me.

My Current Skincare Routine - Beauty and The Boy
Tidal Brightening Enzyme Water Cream (£60)

Last but not least is the Tidal Brightening Enzyme Water Cream. From the first time I used this I knew it was going to be good. I think I have a good sense of whether or not I’m going to like a moisturiser and I loved this because like its name.  I felt a tidal wave of hydration hit my face when I used it. Since I have only been using this for a week as well I have yet to see any long term effects but I’m looking forward to seeing what this has to offer me

If you are interested in seeing full reviews of these products leave a comment down below!

What is your favourite skincare product?
What is your biggest skincare challenge?
Leave a Comment!

Talia James (The Skincare Saviour)

Scottish science nerd obsessed with all things beauty! Creator of The Skincare Saviour, a skincare blog covering everything from reviews, tutorials to busting myths, finding dupes and breaking down trends.

All posts

18 Comments

• Heather Nixon 12th December 2016 at 9:58 am

I really want to try the Benefit SPF x

• Georgia Megan 12th December 2016 at 10:42 am

I love Benefit skin products so I’ll have to try and give this one a go, I’ve never heard of it before! x

|Georgia Megan|

• Beauty & The Boy(Andrew James) 21st December 2016 at 5:25 pm

I honestly didnt think id like them then i tried the SPF and was honestly blown away that it was a matte sunscreen x

• Sarirah 12th December 2016 at 11:58 am

That Dragon’s Blood Facial Spritz looks really good. Haven’t tried anything from Rodial before so will look out for that one. Your skincare routine sounds so lush. 🙂

• Beauty & The Boy(Andrew James) 21st December 2016 at 5:24 pm

I think its a good place to start everyone could do with a bit more hydration 😀 Ive been really bad with skincare so im trying to get into a proper routine x

• Fashion Matters 12th December 2016 at 8:28 pm

thanks for sharing!

The Fashion Matters- Travel & Fashion Blog

x

• Olivia Cope 26th December 2016 at 10:58 pm

Oh my god the Bobbi Brown eye cream has been a favourite for years! How have I only just found your blog <3

• Beauty & The Boy(Andrew James) 29th December 2016 at 10:21 pm

Aw thank you for reading! i really appreciate it. The Bobbi Brown eye cream believe it or not has only recently been a big love of mine x

• Olivia Cope 30th December 2016 at 8:02 am

a few seconds ago
        My pleasure. You literally blog about everything on my wish list! Do you think the Sunday riley Good Genes is worth the money? I’ve been wanting it for ages but just can’t face the cost!

• Olivia Cope 30th December 2016 at 8:02 am

• Olivia Cope 30th December 2016 at 8:01 am

• sejbombz 28th December 2016 at 10:31 pm

I definitely need to drink more water, I’ve bought a beautiful unicorn tumbler with a straw to encourage me 😉
    So far my fav skincare products is between liz earle cleanse and polish (the limited edition scents are my fav) and the emma hardie cleansing moringa balm because of the scent and it leaves my skin soft.
    Biggest skincare challenge is finding a product that helps tone down acne scarring without breaking me out and keeping my skin quenched. Very dehydrated skin all year round! #hormonessuck

• Beauty & The Boy(Andrew James) 29th December 2016 at 10:21 pm

That is so good i really need to do the same to be honest i really dont drink nearly enough during the day.
      You know ive still not tried the Emma Hardie Cleansing balm x

• Mammafulzo 30th December 2016 at 1:41 am

I’d love to try the Sunday Riley products, I love a balm cleanser, my skin is very dry and dehydrated so a nightmare at this time of year, a product I’ve been loving is the Estee lauder Micro Essence Tonic it’s really helping with the dehydration xx

Zoe ♥ MammafulZo

• Roxie Ferguson 30th December 2016 at 11:35 am

I’m dying to try something from the Sunday Riley collection. I’ve just picked up The Body Shop Camomile cleansing balm which I’m loving so far. My holy grail products are the Neal’s Yard Remedies Rose Hip Balm and my Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate.

Roxie | The Beautiful Bluebird

• Amy 3rd January 2017 at 3:07 pm

Great routine! I love Sunday Riley Luna & Good Genes, they feature in mine too.

http://fourcatsplusus.co.uk – Amy